Re: De Re If-Modified-Since

From: Lou Montulli <montulli@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 95 21:56:20 -0700
To: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950816205717.5252C-100000@chivalry> Simon Spero
<ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu> wrote:

>         2) The problem as described above is caused by problems at the
>         server side;  the cure can also be localised to the server-side
>         without protocol modifications- for example, the server can keep
>         a record of the incorrect dates that have been changed, and always
>         retransmit the document if it recieves a request containing one of
>         the bad dates.

This solution is too costly to implement in existing servers,
on the other hand, size checksums are easy to add to most servers.
I seriously doubt any server will keep a record of screwups
and fix them automatically, so this is a completely impractical solution.

Your "solution" also fails when the file has been modified but
has the same date.

:lou
--
Lou Montulli                 http://www.mcom.com/people/montulli/