Re: Expires, Last-Modified, Pragma: no-cache, and PRIVACY

From: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 18:05:01 -0400
To: Lou Montulli <montulli@mozilla.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>Great, pragma's can now be interpreted I'm happy.  Should
>I still interpret "no-cache" or should there be something else?

Yes, and I'll update the specs [I wish we had this discussion before
I split them in two].

>While we are on the subject it would be nice to have a header
>that specified the level of privacy of a document.

Yikes!  Then we have to define "level of privacy" first, and I
don't think this belongs in a Pragma header anyway.

The W3C security people have been working on a generic extension
mechanism for this purpose (and a few others) which should be
a proposal for HTTP/1.2 once the documentation is complete.

I'd like to get 1.0 set in stone first, before we open the mondo
can-o-worms that generic extensions will entail.

 ....Roy T. Fielding  Department of ICS, University of California, Irvine USA
                      Visiting Scholar, MIT/LCS + World-Wide Web Consortium
                      (fielding@w3.org)                (fielding@ics.uci.edu)