Re: Improving If-Modified-Since

From: Donald E. Eastlake 3rd <dee@cybercash.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 08:51:49 -0400 (EDT)
To: Lou Montulli <montulli@mozilla.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
On Tue, 15 Aug 1995, Lou Montulli wrote:

> > If the user requests a "Reload" operation, they are asking for a
> > new copy of the resource from its origin.
>
> We obviously have different opinions on what a "reload" should do.
>
> My interpretation of "reload" is to check everything on the page
> and retransfer any objects that have changed.

There needs to be a way to recover from errors at every stage of the
path from the original data to the user's screen.  There could be
tranmission corruption, a proxies data storeage may have gotten
stepped on, etc.  If not "Reload", what?

> :lou
> --
> Lou Montulli                 http://www.mcom.com/people/montulli/
>        Netscape Communications Corp.

Donald
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 508-287-4877(tel)     dee@cybercash.com
   318 Acton Street        +1 508-371-7148(fax)     dee@world.std.com
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)