Re: Improving If-Modified-Since

In article <v02120d01ac5733010a9c@[204.156.156.16]> hedlund@best.com (Marc
Hedlund) wrote:

> >> If the user requests a "Reload" operation, they are asking for a
> >> new copy of the resource from its origin.
>
> >We obviously have different opinions on what a "reload" should do.
>
> >My interpretation of "reload" is to check everything on the page
> >and retransfer any objects that have changed.
>
> The behavior you describe sounds more appropriate for a 'refresh' button
> than a 'reload' button.

I agree, 'refresh' does sound like a more appropriate word.  I'll
pass that along to our UI persons.

> The use of 'Refresh' in Netscape, on the other hand, seems to me to really
> mean 'reload'.  Doesn't a 'refresh' entity header reload the document
> whether it has changed or not?

I'm currently attempting to change the netscape UI to allow both
refresh and what I call "Super Reload" (Retransfer everything).
"Refresh", as you call it, will continue to be the default.
As others have pointed out, if the cacheing scheme is perfect,
"Super Reload" would never be necessary.  Adding size=SIZE or
length=SIZE gets us a little closer and if necessary we could
move to MD5.

Hoping for a perfect caching world,
:lou
--