Re: Improving If-Modified-Since

From: Marc Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 22:44:24 -0700
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>> If the user requests a "Reload" operation, they are asking for a
>> new copy of the resource from its origin.
>
>We obviously have different opinions on what a "reload" should do.
>
>My interpretation of "reload" is to check everything on the page
>and retransfer any objects that have changed.

The behavior you describe sounds more appropriate for a 'refresh' button
than a 'reload' button.

The use of 'Refresh' in Netscape, on the other hand, seems to me to really
mean 'reload'.  Doesn't a 'refresh' entity header reload the document
whether it has changed or not?

Marc Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>