Re: Improving If-Modified-Since

From: Albert Lunde <Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 22:14:01 -0500 (CDT)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

> > If the user requests a "Reload" operation, they are asking for a
> > new copy of the resource from its origin.
>
> We obviously have different opinions on what a "reload" should do.
>
> My interpretation of "reload" is to check everything on the page
> and retransfer any objects that have changed.

This is a case where it doesn't pay to be too clever.

If everything works perfectly, there is seldom a reason for
people to use "reload". The two cases I use it are when I have
a document that looks like it was corrupted by a transmission
error or when I have outside information that a document *has*
changed (usually because I'm editing it.)

In neither case do I want a local or remote cache be in the picture.

--
    Albert Lunde                      Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu