Re: "Hits" pragma

From: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 16:52:19 -0400
To: Balint Nagy Endre <bne@bne.ind.eunet.hu>
Cc: http wg discussion <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
"Balint Nagy Endre" <bne@bne.ind.eunet.hu> mentions:

>I presume we shall incorporate the hits pragma in the ongoing version of the
>HTTP draft as a must requirement.

The protocol does not require any Pragma directives.  If it is a requirement,
it is made based on the system semantics (e.g., WWW) rather than at
the protocol level.

I am generally against making anything a requirement if it hasn't
already been implemented and demonstrated to be a defacto requirement.

 ....Roy T. Fielding  Department of ICS, University of California, Irvine USA
                      Visiting Scholar, MIT/LCS + World-Wide Web Consortium
                      (fielding@w3.org)                (fielding@ics.uci.edu)