Re: Session-ID proposal

koen@win.tue.nl (Koen Holtman) wrote (on www-talk):
  > Dave Kristol:
  > [....]
  > >	http://www.research.att.com/~dmk/session.html
  >
  > This proposal is not clear enough about caching. Specifically:
  >
  >   is the session-id header in the request part of the cache key for the
  >   entity in the response?
No.  In section 2.3 I said:
    Similarly, a caching proxy must pass back to the requestor any
    Session-ID response header it receives, but it must not cache that
    header as part of its cache state.

  > If it is, this means that almost no meaningful caching is possible for
  > services using session-id, even if 99% if the entities in the session
  > (inline pictures, product description pages) do not depend on the session
  > state.
Yes, exactly.

  > If it is not, session-id may be an unreliable mechanism (in that it cannot
  > be used to build reliable statfull dialogs), depending on how pessimistic
  > you are about cache administrators adhering to standards.
That's probably true short-term.  As you say, the result is unreliable
stateful dialogs if caching proxies don't pass Session-IDs in both
directions.

  > I'm busy on a session-id proposal that tries to resolve these issues.
  > I expect to be posting it at the end of this week.
Excellent.

Dave Kristol