Re: Globalizing URIs

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 16:26:34 PDT
To: connolly@beach.w3.org
Cc: glenn@stonehand.com, html-wg@oclc.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> I'd much prefer to see a general purpose replacement for
> the application/x-www-form-urlencoded media type.

> Somethink like text/tab-separated-values might work nicely.
> Or something SQLish, or lispish, or Tcl-ish. text/tab-separated-values
> would be nice because you could use other charset= values for
> other encodings. Of course you'd have the same nasty interactions
> between octet 7 for the TAB character as octet 10 and 13 for CR/LF.

Dan, the file upload proposal includes a complete specification for
'multipart/form-data' which is intended as a general purpose
replacement for application/x-www-form-urlencoded. We went through
multiple iterations both in the HTML working group and also as a
result of the review given by the folks reviewing new media type
registration. multipart/form-data is completely capable of dealing
with multiple character sets, unicode, or whatever coming back as the
result of filling out a form.

Check it out:

ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-html-fileupload-02.txt