Globalizing URIs

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@stonehand.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 95 15:56:20 -0400
To: html-wg@oclc.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

It is my current understanding that arbitrary bytes can be encoded in URLs.
This provide a means for an HTML UA to formulate a response to a form
submission for arbitrary character encodings. However, I do have one important
question:  how does an HTTP server identify the encoding of such bytes (i.e.,
the CHARSET) and communicate that encoding to the consumer of this data (e.g.,
a CGI script)?

Regards,
Glenn Adams