Re: Content-Transfer-Encoding "packet"

On Thu, 27 Jul 1995, Roy Fielding wrote:

> >Note that an almost identical mechanism was proposed for SMTP - I think
> >it is still one of the "draft-ietf-mailext" drafts.
>
> Yes, I am aware of <draft-ietf-mailext-smtp-binary-07.txt>.  That mechanism
> uses a series of separate messages (each message given a 1*DIGIT length)
> to send the binary data.  In other words, it is a stateful message sequence,
> which is something HTTP doesn't do.

Could please clarify what you mean by 'series of separate messages' since
this terminology doesn't fit my understanding of SMTP chunking. The BDAT
command doesn't in any way change data content in the pipe. It's also
streamable in the sense that you can have more than on outstanding BDAT
chunk pending on the connection.

... ian