Re: Content-Transfer-Encoding "packet"

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 22:00:22 PDT
To: fielding@beach.w3.org
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I became a convert to the 'boundary' method for delimiting otherwise
unbounded data, as is done with multipart/* messages. E.g.,

content-transfer-encoding: bounded-binary; boundary="xxxxxx"

would signal that the actual data started with

--xxxxxx

and ended with

--xxxxxx--

This is simple for both the sender and recipient; the packetized
encodings seem messy. I'd worry that we'd need an
'accept-transfer-encoding' to allow negotiation of CTE, though.