406 None Acceptable

From: Eric W. Sink <eric@spyglass.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 95 13:45:11 -0500
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

***The 406 None Acceptable response
We have a couple of problems with the 406 None Acceptable response.
Jim Seidman (also here at Spyglass) posted these some time ago, but
we didn't any proper resolution, so I'm asking for info on how these
issues stand:

First, it specifies that Content-*
headers are required.  If there's more than one version of the file,
which set of content headers do we send?  That is, if there's a PNG and a
TIFF version of a file, and the client requests only accepts GIF and JPEG,
which info do we send?  It's ambiguous to just specify
multiple content-types, content-languages, etc., since you could have a
situation where you have a French PostScript file and a German HTML file.

Second, it says you can't have any entity body.  What are browsers supposed
to display in this case, since for every other error the server can return
an entity body giving explanatory text?

--
Eric W. Sink
Senior Software Engineer, Spyglass