Re: Worries about content-length

On Tue, 9 May 1995, Alex Hopmann wrote:

> Unfortunatelly we have to deal with the pragmatic situation that previous
> HTTP drafts were not specific about content-length and many servers are
> sending "broken" contents in this respect. This is one reason why I do not
> trust the content length unless I have negotiated the "Session" extension.

I believe we are discussing what the standard should say, not guidance
for dealing with broken software. It is really moot to discuss
character stuffing, random end sequences or content-length in terms
of the 'correct' or best way to convey and manage the length of data
unless we discuss the future. Perhaps I've misunderstood the direction
of the thread?

Dave Morris