Re: Worries about content-length

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 95 15:20:12 MDT
To: James Gosling <jag@scndprsn.eng.sun.com>
Cc: NED@sigurd.innosoft.com, masinter@parc.xerox.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
    One can make algorithmic arguments on both sides fairly persuasively: I
    believe they end up being very close in the limit.   For example, I
    would implement byte-stuffing on the server side by having the files in
    the cache be pre-stuffed.  Since my server has a RAM cache, it's
    particularly easy.  Then I just do a single firehose write to the socket.
    (Of course, the pre-computation technique can be used in the random
    delimiter case to guarantee 100% safety)

But if you have the files already cached and precomputed, you might
as well just use Content-Length and make everyone's life easier.
The problem comes for non-cachable results (such as the output of
a CGI script subprocess), when the response has to be generated "live."

-Jeff