Re: comments in HTTP headers

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@osf.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 95 01:19:11 -0400
To: Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>I suppose some of the value is in making the specification agree more
>with MIME and USENET so that shared code and cross-protocol gateways
>work more transparently. I really doubt we _need_ the full glory
>of RFC822 comments most of the time.

Usenet doesn't allow the full glory of 822 either.  In general, Usenet
doesn't allow comments except in a particular format for From lines,
and *sort of* single-word unknown timezones.

I'd drop comment support unless you use a really limited subset of what 822
allows.  Doing this still allows you to re-use all that wonderful existing
822-parsing code, but makes it easier on those writing from scratch.
	/r$