Re: Browser Developers (A Plea From BrowserWatch)

From: Dave Garaffa <d-garaffa@ski.mskcc.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 14:31:52 -0500
To: wmperry@spry.com
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, march@europa.com
>M. Hedlund writes:
>>
>> Yes, I like Bill's proposal and I've suggested platform in the user-agent
>> field before.  This would, however, completely break current systems
>> (which tend to look for the text before the first / as user-agent name,
>> and can survive miscreant whitespace) that currently work with HTTP/1.0
>> requests.  Can we defer this to 1.1?
>
>  Perhaps we could combine the two?

>            library=WWWLib/3.0.x ; other=Whatever
>
>  This would still let old services that look for whatever is before the
>first / to still get the same results.  And actually is more MIME-y than my
>first one, since the platform=xxxx, can now be considered
>parameters/extensions to the base 'NCSA Mosaic' value.
>
>  -Bill P.

Bill,

I too like your proposal (2nd one *is* better) and less breaking... Where
can we go to propose this (or something like this)?

Dave,

 Dave Garaffa                   | email      d-garaffa@ski.mskcc.org
 SKI Computer Support Services  | voice      (212) 639-8588
 Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center  | fax        (212) 717-3627
"You know you've been using the web WAY too long when...
   you access your hotlist and the lights in your office dim."

                 Yuji Shinozaki <yuji@chem.duke.edu>