Re: Why is From: limited?

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 22:47:38 -0800
To: Roman Czyborra <czyborra@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
> I've got two questions regarding 5.4.6 From
>
> 1. Why is From: only a request header?  It would be nice to provide
>    the address of the file owner so you know where to send comments
>    if the author forgot to add a <LINK REV="made" HREF="mailto:...">

Some people "forget" on purpose.  A link is more appropriate in this case.

> 2. Why is it an addr-spec only instead of a full RFC822 mailbox?

Because for some reason I never noticed the mailbox definition (I just
did when I looked at RFC 1123).  That will be fixed.

 ....Roy T. Fielding  Department of ICS, University of California, Irvine USA
                                       <fielding@ics.uci.edu>
                      <URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/dir/grad/Software/fielding>