Re: Suggestion: HTTP Timezone header

From: Paul Hoffman <ietf-lists@proper.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 14:26:53 -0700
To: David Robinson <drtr1@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
At 11:03 AM 3/23/95, David Robinson wrote:
>A suggestion for HTTP: that clients send a Timezone header in the request,
>describing the timezone of the user.

On first glance, this seems useful. However, I'm not sure I see what kind
of script would need to know the timezone of the user. Most time-dependant
CGI scripts I can think of will always be talking about the time in the
zone in which the server resides. Maybe you want to be able to reply with
something like "At xx:yy (your time) you said...", but that seems like a
stretch, particularly if the user doesn't set the timezone correctly. Toss
in various daylight savings times and so on, and I think you introduce more
uncertainty than you want.

It seems safer to base all times on the server's (hopefully correct) time.

--Paul Hoffman
--Proper Publishing