Re: proposal for a new html tag

Discussion of this sort of thing belongs on <www-html@www10.w3.org>, rather
than the IETF HTML WG list <html-wg@oclc.org>.

> As regards your tag, I would have my doubts about the partition of documents
> based on the speed of network connections --- I reckon that the encoding
> of a document should be as independent as possible of its storage and its
> transmission. Maybe if you had some other rationale for the
> partitioning of documents....

The idea looks like Ted Nelson's "Stretch Text" which goes back to 1975! See
<URL:http://fire.clarkson.edu/deuelpm/Stretch/intro.html> for ideas on
verbosity level based on reader interest.

There is an interesting question if resources can be delivered at different
verbosity levels. Is this an issue of naming best handled in the URI, or is is
a matter for the protocol? Note the similarity to the question of delivering
partial documents. Suppose I have retrieved something at verbosity 50% and I
want to increase this to 70%. Can I retrieve the difference and merge it, and
what impact would this have on the names, the retrieval protocol, and the
representation of the resource?

I think this is an interesting idea but I don't have time to pursue it at the
moment.

Regards,
  Owen Rees <rtor@ansa.co.uk>
Information about ANSA is at <URL:http://www.ansa.co.uk/>.