Re: Getting full URI to the server

   Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 12:50:45 -0800
   From: march@europa.com (M. Hedlund)

 > Not only is it likely, it is happening quite a bit.  There are plenty of
 > businesses buying machines and connections exclusively to put up web
 > servers, and they often want to split costs with other businesses.

It's even more complicated than that.  I have a permanent 24 h link
home over modem, and five machines home on my net.  I've set up a web
tree elsewhere, right at a T1 socket, but can't stick it into my named
database for obvious reasons.  I want to have www.homenet.com point to
it (by DNS), and have the server at the T1 socket do the right thing.
Modifying httpd to look at the header and pick the root from a config
file would be trivial, if the information were just passed.  Playing
games with IP addresses is not an option in my case, since I doubt the
T1 link owner will let me play around with their routers and interface
configurations.

Since any old Sparc-1 with 2GB disk and 32MB memory will make a
splendid server, the expensive resource is net bandwidth.  In the
future, more and more small businesses, individuals, and organizations
(the San Francisco Aids Foundation is trying to do something very
close to what I'm trying to do), will buy shares in a dedicated
off-site web server.  It'll sit right next to an existing T1 socket to
reduce telco costs

I can't see why there's even any discussion about this.  Just add the
damn field to the spec so people can get things working.

						-- Jan Brittenson
						   bson@eng.sun.com