Re: original host name in request/header

From: Henrik Frystyk <frystyk@bay.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 19:02:34 +0500
To: jim@spyglass.com
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

Jim Seidman wrote:

> I disagree.  A system that wanted to use this technique could look for a
> "Hostname:" header line, and if it's missing provide the user with a list of
> the hosts available at that address.

The problem is that in this case, the client not sending a host[name]
header also are the clients which only support one URL in a redirection
status code - or am I missing something?

I also belong to the group that believes that having the full URI in a
request line would be more consistent with proxy requests but that it's
something for version 2.0. If there really is a demand for a quick
solution then a host[name] header can be added. However, I am getting
more and more convinced that the Web community is getting too large for
quick solutions - the inertia is simply too big and that time simply
will run from this solution.

-- cheers --

Henrik Frystyk