Re: original host name in request/header

From: Jim Seidman <jim@spyglass.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 95 16:49:37 -0600
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Larry Masinter writes:
>I think this should probably be a requirement for HTTP 2.0, but there
>is no migration strategy that will make this work for HTTP 1.0.

I disagree.  A system that wanted to use this technique could look for a
"Hostname:" header line, and if it's missing provide the user with a list of
the hosts available at that address.

If they wanted to make it really robust, they could have all of the
hostname-specific content a directory down, and only look at the Hostname
header if the request is "GET /".  If the header were there, the server
could generate a redirect to the appropriate subdirectory, and if not
provide the list of links to hostname-specific info.

In this scenario, even if someone with a browser which supported this
extension mailed a URI to someone using a non-extended browser, it would
still work since the directory information would be present.  The
subdirectory stuff could be phased out once all the browsers supported the

Jim Seidman, Senior Software Engineer, Spyglass Inc.