Language Tags

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 1995 12:53:14 -0800
To: Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu
Cc: html-wg@oclc.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
My apologies for cross-posting this, but it does apply to both standards.

Albert Lunde wrote:

> In any case, I think the language attribute should have the same
> allowed values as the language/dialect in the HTTP Accept-Language and
> Content-Language headers.

This has been changed for HTTP/1.0.  We will now be using the language tag
defined in <draft-ietf-mailext-lang-tag-02.txt> which will (hopefully) soon
be an RFC.  A full URL is
Since it uses ISO 639 as primary tags, it should be compatible with current
usage of language names.

......Roy Fielding   ICS Grad Student, University of California, Irvine  USA