Language Tags

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 1995 12:53:14 -0800
To: Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu
Cc: html-wg@oclc.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
My apologies for cross-posting this, but it does apply to both standards.

Albert Lunde wrote:

> In any case, I think the language attribute should have the same
> allowed values as the language/dialect in the HTTP Accept-Language and
> Content-Language headers.

This has been changed for HTTP/1.0.  We will now be using the language tag
defined in <draft-ietf-mailext-lang-tag-02.txt> which will (hopefully) soon
be an RFC.  A full URL is
<http://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mailext-lang-tag-02.txt>
Since it uses ISO 639 as primary tags, it should be compatible with current
usage of language names.

......Roy Fielding   ICS Grad Student, University of California, Irvine  USA
                                     <fielding@ics.uci.edu>
                     <URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/dir/grad/Software/fielding>