Grammar for User-Agent header

From: Eric W. Sink <eric@spyglass.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 11:39:32 -0600
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

The grammar for the User-Agent header currently reads like this:

>       User-Agent      = "User-Agent" ":" 1*( product )
>
>       product         = token ["/" product-version]
>       product-version = 1*DIGIT "." 1*DIGIT

In my opinion, this is a bit too restrictive.  For example, all of the
following version numbers are illegal using this grammar.

1               simple integer, no minor rev
2.0a1           Apple standard format for an alpha release
1.0.2.87        Microsoft standard format

Other version numbering schemes may cause other problems.  May I suggest
that we not try to impose the format of the version number beyond saying
which characters we allow there?

--
Eric W. Sink, Senior Software Engineer --  eric@spyglass.com
                                           I don't speak for Spyglass.