Re: HTTP: T-T-T-Talking about MIME Generation

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@ptsun00.cern.ch>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 94 17:01:01 +0100
To: john@math.nwu.edu, ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu
Cc: dmk@allegra.att.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

Simon Spero wrote:

> The perceived performance of Netscape is merely a function of their
> rendering order. Netscape renders GIFS as they come in. THis is completely
> independent of the protocol. The new parser for Arena is based on a
> restartable model- it will render everything that it possibly can as it
> comes in - I haven't seen Dave's latest design, but I think it can even start
> rendering GIFS before it's finished retrieving the text.

The multithreaded feature in the Arena is a result of the new
achitecture of the WWW Library of Common Code. It allows data-driven
parsing or rendering as soon as data comes in on the network, and new
requests to be issued at any time. So rendering GIFS before finishing
the text is perfectly possible.

-- cheers --

Henrik Frystyk