Re: HTTP: T-T-T-Talking about MIME Generation

From: Jim Seidman <jim@spyglass.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 14:04:27 -0600
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Larry Masinter writes:
>You don't need content-length to search for the boundary. You can go
>ahead and scan the binary data for <CR><LF>--boundary--<CR><LF>.

I was responding to Mitra's point that if you don't use some sort of
encoding on the data, a file could conceivably contain
<CR><LF>--boundary--<CR><LF> (or whatever else you wanted to use).  I can
envision a situation where you couldn't download httpd using http because
the file contained the boundary string.  Using content-length to determine
the end of a document would be 100% reliable, since the actual content
couldn't possibly conflict with the protocol information.

--
Jim Seidman
Senior Software Engineer