Re: HTTP: T-T-T-Talking about MIME Generation

On Fri, 16 Dec 1994, Albert Lunde wrote:

> As I said earlier (while many of you were off at the IETF?), I'm
> increasingly convinced that HTTP messages are (as the recent spec
> suggests) MIME-like, not MIME conforming. With so many other
> deviations from MIME, I suggest we should drop the (rather complex)
> MIME multi-part structure based on boundaries, etc. and only allow
> multi-part messages defined by a Content-Length byte count.

Yeah!  Other than the fact that MIME existed as did tools for processing,
I have never understood why an 8bit clean protocol like TCP/IP is
cluttered with the syntax of mail/MIME (a comment was made at the IETF
that MIME semantics for multiple part content with a new binary syntax
might make sense).

I haven't had time to read any drafts on HTTP-ng yet but I'm hoping that
the binary encoding I hear mentioned deals with eliminating
(minimizing) ascill headers by using nice terse binary structures.