Re: HTTP Caching Model?

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 22:27:09 -0800
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Larry writes:

> Haven't you left out the possibility that the proxy<->server protocol
> might be differentt than the client<->server or client<->proxy
> protocol? In particular, servers that support variants need not report
> the variants back if they're being queried by an end-user agent, but
> might if they're being queried by a caching server.

What matters is whether or not the client (user agent or proxy) has
a shared cache.  There is no way for the server to know that, though it
could be added to the protocol.  However, I think information on variants
may be as useful to a user-agent as it is to a cache manager.

> After all, we did this for if-modified-since...

No, we didn't.  If-modified-since is also used by user agents (like Netscape).

......Roy Fielding   ICS Grad Student, University of California, Irvine  USA
                                     <fielding@ics.uci.edu>
                     <URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/dir/grad/Software/fielding>