Re: Comments on HTTP draft [of 23 Nov 1994]

From: Simon E Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 94 15:23:56 -0500
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Cc: Chuck Shotton <cshotton@oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Looking at IMS on a packet by packet basis, in the presence of possibly
large headers greater than 512 bytes,  having the client  cancel will save
2 packets in the best case, and be no worse in the worst case. I sent
a message on tis to www-talk during chicago with more analysis. my hands aren't up
to recreating it at the moment, and I think the message dissapeared
in transit. i'll see if i can find it again.

BOX-Line: From luotonen@neon.mcom.com Fri Dec  2 12:54:34 1994
> Looking at IMS on a packet by packet basis, in the presence of
> possibly large headers greater than 512 bytes, having the client
> cancel will save 2 packets in the best case, and be no worse in the
> worst case. I sent a message on tis to www-talk during chicago with
> more analysis. my hands aren't up to recreating it at the moment,
> and I think the message dissapeared in transit. i'll see if i can
> find it again.

Well, did you monitor the impact on the server's TCP kernel when that
is constantly happening?  Basically what you're suggesting is very
ugly anyway, and I don't like it one bit even if it wasn't expensive
for the network.  Gee, it's a few lines of code to do it cleanly.
It's like smashing your car on a signpost because you don't feel like
hitting the brakes.

-- Cheers, Ari --