MUX credits and latency.

From: Justin Chapweske (justin@cyrus.net)
Date: Mon, Oct 25 1999

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:01:03 +0000
From: Justin Chapweske <justin@cyrus.net>
To: ietf-http-ng@w3.org
Subject: MUX credits and latency.

I am in the process of trying to figure out an efficient way to deliver
credit updates in my MUX implementation.  I want to wait as long as
possible to send the addcredit as I would like to piggy-back it off of
another packet, but I need to send it out soon enough so that it doesn't
cause the other end to block with 0 credits.  I can roughly figure out
what the bandwidth is just by counting the bytes coming in, but I can't
figure out a way to get a rough measure of the latency.  Can anyone
think of a any cute tricks that could be used to guesstimate the
latency?  I am writing this in Java, so I won't be able to get access to
any TCP specific information...

TIA

-Justin Chapweske, Cyrus Intersoft
(http://www.cyrusintersoft.com/)