Draft paper on extensible data types

From: Mike Spreitzer (spreitze@parc.xerox.com)
Date: Sun, Dec 13 1998

Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:49:23 PST
From: Mike Spreitzer <spreitze@parc.xerox.com>
To: ietf-http-ng@w3.org
CC: abegel@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject: Draft paper on extensible data types

Andy and I finally have a mentionable version of that long-threatened
paper on extensible data types.  It's been submitted to WWW8.  You can
find a copy of the submitted paper at
<http://www.parc.xerox.com/csl/members/spreitze/evolution-paper.pdf>.

A few apologies are in order.  This draft was written in way too big a
hurry.  The presentation is not as good as it could be, but should be
comprehensible.  Late in the writing process (too late to remove it), we
realized that the DontLookIgnorable mode fragment is ineffective in this
formulation (we've examined a few others, some in the course of editing
this paper).  And after submitting it, I realized there's a bug
involving DontLookIgnorable: because the prohibition of examination
isn't represented at runtime, it's checked neither statically nor
dynamically when extension (which is covariant) is done in certain ways.

We'll continue revising this paper.

Mike