Re: Last Call: HTTP Extension Framework to Proposed Standard

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen (frystyk@w3.org)
Date: Thu, Feb 18 1999

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:56:17 -0500
To: koen@win.tue.nl (Koen Holtman), fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu (Roy T. Fielding)
From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Cc: iesg@ietf.org, ietf-http-ext@w3.org, discuss@apps.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Last Call: HTTP Extension Framework to Proposed Standard

At 11:28 2/18/99 +0100, Koen Holtman wrote:

>The MUST/MAY/SHOULD text in the draft can be fixed, and I am trying to
>work on this with Henrik, but I have no idea whether we will
>converge.  I do feel that Henrik is not treating the issue with the
>care it deserves.

Koen,

Before you go on saying what can be fixed and what not can be fixed in the
current draft I think it would be instructive to point out that you have
yet to identify a correctness problem in the *current*design* based on what
is *supported* by the specification.

As far as I can tell, you have until now shown what will break *if* the
design was different in that a proxy could pick what it wanted to comply
with and forward the rest. This is *not* a part of the current design nor
do I believe this is in any way implied by the specification asis (in fact
I have shown you at least one scenario where this does not work).

Please be aware that if are proposing a *different* design than what is
currently described then that is fine but let's try and keep things separate.

Henrik

--
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,
World Wide Web Consortium