decl-extension clarification?

From: Rolf H. Nelson (rnelson@w3.org)
Date: Fri, Jan 15 1999

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:13:53 -0500
To: ietf-http-ext@w3.org
From: "Rolf H. Nelson" <rnelson@w3.org> (by way of Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>)
Subject: decl-extension clarification?

draft-frystyk-http-extensions-01 looks solid to me.  (Disclaimer:  I
work for the same company as the editor, but I did try to be as
unbiased as possible.)

Even after rereading the spec multiple times, I was unable to
determine whether decl-extensions from Section 3 are specific to
individual extensions, or whether they are global to the HTTP
extension framework.  "An extension declaration can be extended
through the use of one or more decl-ext parameters"  seems ambiguous,
and in fact I originally thought this meant that each extension could
make up its own decl-ext parameters, so that

Rolf-Extension:  foo

could legally become

Opt: "http://www.rolf.com/myextension";  ns=14-; myvalue=foo

If my Rolf Extension (TM) permitted such a thing. In other words,
myvalue is interpreted by the Rolf Extension handler, rather than by
the HTTP Extension Framework.

It is only after looking at the issues list that I see the intent of
the specification is the reverse.

Otherwise this looks good, I would support this for a recommendation
even if no changes get made to reflect my above concern.

-Rolf