Re: draft-shemsedinov-usp-05.txt

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:35:13 -0800
To: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
CC: discuss@apps.ietf.org, Timur Shemsedinov <Timur@niist.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>

Patrik,

Patrik> I have as Area Director got a request to publish the named I-D as
Patrik> Informational RFC. I hereby would like to get input from the
Patrik> Applications Area on the document.

Given that that they are seeking Informational, rather than standards track,
I assume that an IETF review should focus on whether the specification has
misrepresentations and whether it conflicts in dangerous ways with any IETF
effort. I assume that the IETF should NOT offer any standards-oriented
language, such as "this looks like a useful protocol".

So, my own reading is:

This is a thoughtful effort that discusses related efforts. It states what
problem it is trying to solve and it states its reasons for its technical
choices.

I am not aware of any conflicts or misrepresentations from this work.

For work of this sort done now, it is surprising that the specification
invents a new syntax, rather than using XML. However is nothing "dangerous"
or otherwise inappropriate in the syntax choice they have made.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
 TribalWise <http://www.tribalwise.com>