Re: I-D ACTION:draft-palme-e-mail-translation-03.txt

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:18:35 -0500
To: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>
cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org, langtrans@salut.nu
> When the MIME standard was introduced, the handling by
> present mail was central in the design of mail.

yes, to a point.  In particular, MIME was designed to allow
plain-text portions of MIME messages to be readable by
existing UAs that could read plain-text RFC 822 messages.
This also influenced the default behavior of multipart/alternative,
in order to allow a plain-text alternative to be viewable
on an RFC 822 UA without the recipient having to skip over
several screenfuls of base64-encoded material.

But MIME didn't attempt to provide new features in existing
user agents.