Re: I-D ACTION:draft-palme-e-mail-translation-03.txt

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:15:31 -0500
To: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>
cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org, langtrans@salut.nu
> >the correct answer is to use multipart/alternative.
> >
> >even if current UAs don't support it, they don't support
> >any other language selection mechanism either.
> >
> >either the UAs will evolve to support language selection
> >via multipart/alternative, or they won't - but that's not
> >within IETF"s control.
>
> Do you mean multipart/alternative with one body part for
> each language? I do not think that is feasible, if you
> check how present mail UAs handle this.

how present mail UAs handle this is irrelevant, because they
don't handle any other scheme for language selection either.

the only question for IETF is - what's the best way to do this
in MIME protocol?  and nobody has come up with a better alternative
(so to speak) than multipart/alternative.

Keith