Re: NATmakes a network a host -- must every process have an IP address?

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 22:35:32 -0800
To: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
CC: discuss@apps.ietf.org

Edward,

Edward> I'm convinced that had DNS built in features to remotely manage
Edward> answers from a cache (which is the crux of the problem - a cache
Edward> sitting topologically on a NAT node) and had made error reporting

Sounds like you are tripping across the end-to-end myth.  Whenever we design
a protocol that believes there is a direct interaction between one end-point
and the other, we later have to deal with the presence of intermediation.
Caches.  Firewalls.  Whatever.

Store-and-forward is not just for layer 3.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
 TribalWise <http://www.tribalwise.com>