Re: Application protocols and Address Translation

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:56:24 -0500
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>
cc: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>, discuss@apps.ietf.org

> So the real challenge is: how can we make it more attractive to
> *not* buy a NAT box than to buy one. I believe that should be the
> focus of applications people.

apps people can develop attractive apps that might induce people
to use v6 instead of v4 where NATs are required.

but making it more attractive to not buy a NAT than to buy one
probably needs to address the reasons people buy NATs in the
first place - address shortage, avoiding the need to renumber,
the illusion of security, packaging.  people are going to
continue to want to buy NATs until these problems are solved
by other, better means.  it's not clear what apps people can to
do address these things, except perhaps to make apps more secure.

Keith