Re: Requirements for reliable message delivery

From: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:50:04 -0800 (PST)
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>
Cc: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>, Discuss Apps <discuss@apps.ietf.org>
While I don't argue what you say isn't true: (it mostly is),
the fact that clients aren't implementing that part of the spec decently
really reduces the incentive for content providers to do so properly.
Their behavior in the face of network lossage is pretty bad.

I think this lack of client support is more of an issue than even what you

It is probably the case that a caching proxy is needed in the described
situation (lossy wierd networks) anyway, to refetch URL's for you you
visit frequently, as a minimum to increase usability and robustness.
				- Jim

Jim Gettys
Cambridge Research Laboratory
Compaq Computer Corporation