Re: URI resolution & safety

From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:46:02 +0100
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
cc: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>, discuss@apps.ietf.org
--On 01-11-25 02.31 -0500 Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> wrote:

> The resolution of some URI aren't safe.  I saw an "aim:" URI scheme
> recently that allowed resolution of a URI to send an AIM message.  That
> is a Bad Thing.

This is the main reason why I want to have an easy process for registering
URI schemes. People use URI schemes anyway, regardless of whether they are
registered or not. I want to register all schemes, because it gives an
ability to have a security consideration section which talk about the
issues with the scheme.

  paf