Re: TFTP URL

--On Wednesday, 21 November, 2001 10:09 +0100 Patrik Fältström
<paf@cisco.com> wrote:

> (a) I think it is a good thing to have a URI scheme defined
> for all protocols we have in the IETF

I think we disagree about that.  I think that we should have
them only where they are demonstrably needed and, consequently,
worth whatever risks they imply.  Part of my problem is that the
existence of URIs may encourage indiscriminate use of the
protocols while, if someone has to go to a bit more effort, they
might actually _read_ the "security consideration" sections we
go to so much trouble to write.  And, in some cases, the URI
schemes considerably "dumb down" the protocols, which may not be
a good thing either (for better or worse, "dumbing down" TFTP is
not a concern).

As I have said in other contexts, I am becoming increasingly
convinced that the IETF needs to stop using the fact that we
know how to do something as an argument that we should do it.

> (b) A specification of a URI scheme need to explain when it is
> to, and more importantly, when it is not to be used
>
> Correct me if I am wrong John, but the conclusion I see of
> this discussion is that the document is describing the general
> URI, but, doesn't describe enough in the Security
> Consideration Section why this is a bad thing to use the wrong
> way.

_If_ there is adequate justification for creating a URL for TFTP
at all (and we probably disagree about what should be considered
adequate), then, yes, I think the Security Considerations
section  of this document needs a good deal of work and that we
need to pay careful attention to the Security Considerations
section of any protocol that specifies (or is likely to use) a
configuration file that might contain a URI.

     john