Re: Requirements for reliable message delivery

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:55:46 -0500 (EST)
To: moore@cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore)
Cc: brian@hursley.ibm.com (Brian E Carpenter), discuss@apps.ietf.org (Discuss Apps), john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com, rpk@us.ibm.com
I agree with Keith.  If you're tunneling over HTTP, i.e. using it as a
transport protocol, then perhaps this is a useful thing to do, I don't
know.  But as HTTP is an application protocol, "reliability" must be
interpreted in the context of the application it defines.  This draft
doesn't do that.

> overall this is a good requirements summary.
>
> But I find no justification whatsoever for insisting that the reliable
> message delivery system be layered on top of HTTP.  One could easily
> conclude that expectation that HTTP should be used as a substrate for
> applications requiring reliable message delivery is a large part of
> the problem.
>
> Keith

MB
--