Re: Discussion of an app-layer API for IPsec

>allow an application to see if it is running over

I was tempted to delete the last word. ptrace(2) comes to mind.

Seriously, I love API work, but we do very little of it (v6, ldap, and what
else?).
The proposal is ipsec-specific, the problem is more general, and we've not had
a go at the more general problem in a decade (host requirements), having left
that in the POSIX, XPG and Redmond sets of hands.

What would interoperate? What two independent implementations would do
what when independently discovering that each is "running over <foo>", on
the same, or distinct, and possibly dissimilar and not necessarily
interconnected
hosts?

Eric
(author, XPG/1, XPG/4.2, and sundry other inconsequential bits of nonsense)