Re: Two new drafts: Multipart/Interleaved and Application /BatchBeep

From: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 08:33:08 +0200
To: IETF Applications Area general discussion list <discuss@apps.ietf.org>

At 15.17 -0400 01-04-24, Keith Moore wrote:
>This isn't a feature of ASN.1.  It's a feature of encoding the
>field names implicitly via their position in the data stream vs.
>encoding them explicitly with tags.  ASN.1 can do this either
>way.  For instance, SNMP uses ASN.1 but tags each datum with an OID.

OK. I see your point now. One might also say that the RFC822
and XML formats offer an extension possibility, by adding new
header-names, which a recipient code which does not recognize
them can disregard.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/