Re: Intelligence in standards-based software

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 17:16:18 -0400
To: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>
cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org
> I am beginning to understand that there is a need for
> a new golden rule:
>
> (n) Do not specify standards which require any kind
>      of intelligence of the software using it.

If that were a rule, very few of our protocols would pass muster.

I think you are grossly overexaggerating the problems with multipart/
alternative.   As far as I can tell, the biggest problem with
multipart/alternative is that the set of attributes on which a
choice between alternatives might be based is extensible - it includes
not only content-type and its parameters, but also content-language,
and perhaps other attributes not yet invented.   It's difficult to
imagine how to write a user agent that can effectively make choices
between alternatives based on attributes whose syntax and semantics
are not yet defined.

Keith