Re: Are international characters allowed in email addresses?

The discussion thus far has employed terms like "address" and "domain".

In general, sendmail (a MTA with a modest deployment) is 8-bit encoding
indifferent.
The only interesting issue is can sendmail handle 8-bit headers?

Currently, the answer is "no".

The IETF has not yet scheduled a transition plan to 8-bit clean header
processing,
nor an EHLO extension specification and a way to do 8->7 bit encoding when
sending
to a system that didn't announce the extension.

[My thanks to the private correspondent, however any errors or omissions
are mine,
or artifacts of a bogus MUA].

Eric