From: Dave Crocker [mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 1:15 PM
To: Keith Moore
Cc: John Harrison; 'discuss@apps.ietf.org'
Subject: Re: Are international characters allowed in email addresses?

At 04:04 PM 6/27/2001, Keith Moore wrote:
> > I'm researching an issue regarding whether international characters are
> > allowed in email addresses.
>
>no, they're not.  in all current mail standards email addresses must
>be entirely in ASCII.

well, we can be a bit friendlier to the topic, I think.  Only ASCII
"characters" are permitted, however there is a standard that permits
encoding international characters into an ASCII form.

So the pure negative is:  raw (binary) international characters are not
permitted.
The positive is:  Encoded international characters are permitted.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464