Re: Why the Web?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:04:07 -0500 (EST)
To: janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen)
Cc: brian@hursley.ibm.com (Brian E Carpenter), moore@cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore), discuss@apps.ietf.org
> This reminds me of the folks who built RPC systems by setting properties
> on the root window of a specified X Window System server.  It was the
> only piece of software they had that was reasonably well implemented...

I don't understand this.  HTTP was designed to support this type of
coarse grained interaction style that involves transferring
representations of resources around the network.  In my thermostat
example, I was using it *exactly* as it was designed to be used.
There is simply no comparison to that hack job you described.

MB