Re: Requirements for reliable message delivery

From: John Ibbotson <john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:45:56 +0000
To: discuss@apps.ietf.org
                                         To:     Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
                    12/04/2001           cc:
                    08:29 AM             From:   John Ibbotson/UK/IBM@IBMGB
                                         Subject:     Re: Requirements for reliable message delivery(Document
                                         link: John Ibbotson)

The customers that have requested reliability are the large scale users of
our proprietary messaging middleware MQSeries. They rely on the product for
moving high value transactions (milions of USD) in the financial and other
areas. For the reasons of opening firewall ports (amongst others), they'd
like to see a more general purpose and standardised way of achieving the
same degree of reliability on the internet. Hence the comment on customer

XML Technology and Messaging,
IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park,
Winchester, SO21 2JN

Tel: (work) +44 (0)1962 815188        (home) +44 (0)1722 781271
Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898
Notes Id: John Ibbotson/UK/IBM
email: john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com

                    Keith Moore
                    <moore@cs.utk.       To:     Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>
                    edu>                 cc:     Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Mark Baker
                    Sent by:              <distobj@acm.org>, John Ibbotson/UK/IBM@IBMGB, Discuss Apps
                    moore@cs.utk.e        <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, Richard P King/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                    du                   Subject:     Re: Requirements for reliable message delivery
                    03:55 PM

> But that's a solution, and we have to look for the requirements that
> have generated that solution, so that we can create a better solution.

that's fine.  but simply citing 'customer feedback' as the justification
for HTTP doesn't illuminate the underlying requirements that caused
customers to request that.